The President, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari appointed AVM Muhammadu Muhammed as the Director General, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) with effect from 30th April 2020.
NEMA is an agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria with the mandate to coordinate resources towards efficient and effective disaster prevention, preparedness, mitigation and response in Nigeria.
Having spent one year in office, here are some of his administration’s modest achievements and initiatives.
· Reactivated the NEMA Call Center (0800 CALL NEMA)
· Reactivation of grounded NEMA Air Ambulance ongoing, for delivery before the end of May 2021
· Commenced Awareness Campaign to target all Nigerians on reducing the risk of flooding and other disasters.
· Activated Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs) in 12 flood-affected States, to coordinate and deploy necessary support.
· Produced the 2019 Annual Report, the first Annual Report by NEMA in three years. The last Annual Report produced was in 2016. (2020 Annual Report has also been produced)
· Commenced resolution of contract liabilities that have been lingering since 2017
PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATION:
· Initiated partnership with Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) to reduce road traffic accidents in Q4 2020 and Q1 2021
· Strengthening partnerships with key government and non-government stakeholders, to enhance efficacy of disaster management.
· Commenced, in partnership with the Nigerian Air Force, the construction of houses for persons affected by the 2018 flooding in Jibiya, Katsina State and Abeokuta, Ogun State, as approved by President Buhari since 2019.
· Re-established appropriate working relationship with supervising Ministry, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.
· Commenced settlement of verified staff claims that have been pending for a number of years.
· Reactivation of operational equipment and procurement of operational vehicles
· Conducted staff promotion exercise, as part of efforts to motivate hardworking and deserving staff.
INTERVENTIONS FOR COVID-19, FLOOD RELIEF, AND IDPs
· Distributed 376 trailer loads of food and non-food items to flood-affected persons in 21 States, between May and November 2020. These included 35,113 bags of rice, 37,953 bags of beans, 24,105 bags of maize, 16,000 items of clothing, 55,546 pieces of foam mattresses, among others.
· Supported the supervising Ministry, Honourable Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, and the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, in the distribution of the 70,000 Metric Tonnes of Covid-19 palliative food items approved by President Buhari for distribution to States and Households.
· Coordinated and implemented monthly food distribution for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in camps, host communities and liberated communities in Borno State, under the Federal Government Emergency Food Intervention in the North East.